The staircase is an obligatory attribute of multi-storey private houses and two-level city apartments. This constructive detail takes up quite a lot of space, so designers try to include the space under its marches in the project, using it as an additional functional area. One of the most common options is a cupboard under the stairs. It can be given any shape and solve the problem with the organization of space. Consider simple and creative versions of cabinets and racks, which can be implemented with your own hands.
Cabinets under the stairs - a popular solution, which has long ceased to amaze the inhabitants. This design move has the following advantages:
- The use of additional usable space. If you take the built-in model, then not a single centimeter will not be lost.
- Original design. Cabinets do not have to be "boring" with unpretentious facades. They can be decorated with decoracle, painted, combined with a shelf or alternate closed shelves with open.
- Organization of space. A large number of shelves under the steps will help bring order among things, shoes, kitchen utensils (depending on the functional purpose of the cabinet).
There are disadvantages to this solution:
- The difficulty in the selection of the finished model. In 90% of cases, home owners have to order a built-in wardrobe with individual proportions, as the stairs are different.
- From the same point follows the following feature of the design of the cabinet under the stairs: the need for careful measurements.
In addition, the design of the cabinet in no way should interfere with the staircase itself or create additional loads for it.
Variants and ideas of accommodation
Cabinets under the stairs can take the most bizarre forms and be used for various purposes. There are pantries, "exhibitions" of collection wines behind glass showcases, small libraries, dressing rooms, shelves of shoes and bedding, and children's toys. Each draws this space "by itself", focusing on the lack of places to store certain items. At the cottage with its own garden usually accumulates a lot of conservation. Instead of a cellar, jars of jam and pickles can be placed on special stands, in a neat cabinet under the stairs. If the height of the steps allows, then here you can also arrange a niche for storing kitchen utensils and integrate a refrigerator. The option is ideal for those houses where small kitchens. If the staircase communicates with the living room, then a niche for TV set up under it, complete with shelves for books and photos.
An open rack under the stairs is the easiest option to perform. Such furniture is easy to build yourself. Usually, solid wood is used as the base material. Its derivatives (chipboard, MDF) will look a bit "cheap", especially when it comes to modern interiors. In such racks do either long shelves, or "cut" them with transverse beams, exactly the length of the steps. Then the furniture will be organically combined with the design of the stairs. Here you can equip the library. On the open shelves, slender rows of books and magazines often alternate with potted plants or small sculptures, collections of photographs on stands, vases, and other decorations. For ease of use of the library, you can provide a place to sit, organically fit it into the design of the rack. If the hall and the stairs are combined with the kitchen, which is not uncommon in modern townhouses, you can store kitchen utensils on the open shelves. Another creative option - a double rack with a number of hidden shelves. The front part drives off on wheels. On the "front" side you can keep the decor and books, and on the inside - personal items that should not be displayed.
The wardrobe under the stairs is also very popular. The main advantage of such furniture lies in the special design of the doors, which do not swing open, but move off to the sides on special "rails". Thanks to this, the wardrobe does not take up much space and does not need a “stock” of free space for opening. Mirror facades look stylish and modern. To diversify the design of furniture, you can order etching pattern or ornament on the surface. Another option is to disguise the facades under the color of the finish, so that the storage space becomes inconspicuous and merges with the interior.
Cabinet with hinged doors
A cabinet with hinged doors under the stairs is rarely used. He loses in comparison with models "coupe". If the owners still decided to put just such furniture, then it, as a rule, is divided into several vertical narrow sections. By the way, this makes it possible to extend the space and visually "raise the ceiling." The original models are not equipped with simple horizontal shelves, to which everyone is so used, and retractable modules. These shelves go deep into the design. The option is suitable for stairs with wide steps, where there is enough space for such shelves, which makes their use expedient.
Drawers under the stairs are ideal for storing shoes and even outerwear. If a large family lives in the house, then this way of organizing space will save space in the hall or corridor. There may be many drawers, that is, several above each other. Then they are used to accommodate small items. If the space under the stairs is divided vertically (under each step, one box), then the higher the steps, the larger the dimensions of the sliding shelf. In small shoes laid out, in those that are larger, set hooks for clothing or special stands for umbrellas, walking sticks, shelves for hats. All the traditional "filling" of the hallway can fit under the stairs, completely freeing up space at the front door.
Glass display cabinet
A glass display cabinet is a modern variation of "Soviet" sideboards that used to stand in every house, being part of the furniture "wall." Here it is not at all necessary to store only Grandma's porcelain or family sets "for a holiday." Modern display cabinets are equipped with spot lights that highlight the brilliance of glass facades. Of course, this storage place is ideal for placing beautiful, expensive dishes, but you can go ahead and move the collection of wines to the shelves or fill them with books or ceramic decor.
Combined ways of organizing the space under the flight of stairs imply a combination of all the above options. For example, it is possible in one closet to fit open and closed shelves, drawers and swing doors or sliding doors of the compartment. In fact, such furniture is assembled as a designer. First you need to examine the content that will be placed inside. If these are things and books or dishes, then it is advisable to make part of the facades transparent or to add open shelves to the closed doors.
Filling the cabinet under the stairs is in itself an interior decoration. In addition, the complex architecture of the furniture will not tolerate a large number of decor, which will give it a fussy. It is enough to limit lighting and mirror surfaces. Firstly, the space under the stairs is usually poorly lit, so additional light bulbs here will not be superfluous. Secondly, the mirror surface will make this corner visually larger and more spacious. You can additionally use accessories for furniture: unusual handles, decorative ornaments for facades. The doors of the cabinets can be covered with a thermal film with an image and create a real panorama on the surface of the cabinet.
Do it yourself
To build a closet under the stairs on your own is real, but the work will take a long time. The main difference of this furniture from standard designs lies in the complexity of its shape and the need to “customize” the dimensions exactly under the allotted space under the steps, which is limited by them. Experts recommend to occupy the entire area under the flight of stairs at once, because over time, things tend to accumulate, and therefore more storage space is required. It is necessary to begin work with drawing up a detailed project, which will act as a plan for the algorithm of actions.
We decide on the project: materials, size and dimensions
First of all, you need to make careful measurements of the space under the stairs and make a sketch of the future cabinet. First come up with a specific shape and are determined with the size. The latter are usually tailored to the steps in order to use the entire effective area to the maximum. Then you should think about the content and decide what type of storage system is needed for this furniture. The cabinet is completed with various sections: static shelves, drawers, niches, special holders and hooks. Further, they are determined with the type of facades, the opening / closing system, if any. The best solution would be the “coupe” with a monorail, on which the door would “ride”. All this is in the smallest detail drawn on the sketch of future furniture. Everywhere the dimensions of the elements of the future structure are marked. The next stage is the choice of materials. The best solution would be an array of wood and more budgetary variations (chipboard, MDF), you can assemble a metal frame and glass shelves. Before you go to the store for materials, you need to supplement the shopping list with furniture (handles, corners, hinges, brackets) and screws, without which no furniture assembly can do. Then you need to stock up on working tools:
- Roulette, pencil, level for measuring and creating a drawing.
- Screwdriver, jigsaw, drill for the preparation of materials and installation of elements in one design.
An example is given for mounting a wooden cabinet.
First, the place to accommodate the future cabinet must be freed from other furniture. The floor should be covered with durable material that will protect its surface from possible damage during the installation of new furniture. Frame - the basis of any design. For built-in cabinets it is assembled from metal slats. For conventional models, as a rule, use of chipboard and MDF. The elements are connected to each other with a drill using confirmatics. It is still recommended to work with built-in wardrobes, as they save space as much as possible. The only drawback of these models is the inability to move it and put it in another place. This minus increases doubly due to the complex configuration of the cabinet under the stairs. Making such a product, be prepared for the fact that it will stand for years and will change very soon.
For internal filling materials and components are purchased separately. For shelves it can be wood, and chipboard, and glass. For outerwear set the bar under the hangers and hooks. Internal vertical partitions, as a rule, are made of chipboard. For drawers, roller fittings or a system of guides for each shelf are required. The easiest way to make open shelves.
Doors can be of two types:
- Swing hinged to the "box" of the cabinet.
- "Coupe", which "ride" on two monorails, mounted in the floor and ceiling.
In the first case, the loops are chosen depending on the material from which the cabinet is made, and the thickness of its flaps. Also this obligatory element of swing furniture is classified into several subspecies, which have small differences in design features. There are seven groups of loops: overhead, semi-folding, inverse, supplementary, stolnye, pianoforte and heel. Most often used the first option. On the furniture make markup for loops. First, the “cups” are mounted into the frame, and after that they are already proceeding to fixing the connecting parts on the doors. Sliding installation is performed according to a different algorithm:
- First, fix the guide on the ceiling.
- Fix the profile on the floor.
- Install the lock, which will securely lock the sash in the closed position, not allowing them to disperse to the side.
- Adjustment of the location of the valves.
Finish work by fixing the buffer tape around the perimeter of the cabinet. This additional element will prevent dust from getting inside the furniture.
What can be arranged under the staircase
Under the staircase you can arrange a variety of storage spaces:
- Open shelving. In fact, cabinets without doors, on which dishes are placed, books, magazines, small decor or, for example, a collection of dolls, if the staircase is located next to the children's room.
- Cabinets for clothes (towels, bedding) and kitchen utensils.
- Pantry. Another simple, but very useful option. Behind its closed doors you can store stocks of food, canned food and home-made pickles. In such a storeroom, the banks will not be covered with mold, as is often the case in cellars and cellars.
- Wardrobe. Ideal for small country houses, where there is no place for this element of the interior either in the bedroom or in the attic. You can equip a small dressing room for seasonal clothes and shoes near the hallway or a full-fledged place to store most of the things. The space of the cabinet is divided into sections: in the center there is a bar for hangers, on the sides of the shelf, and below are drawers for shoes. Hinged doors from the inside are complemented with special holders for belts and jewelry. The final touch will be a small ottoman or bench, which, if necessary, you can push and conveniently try on her shoes.
- Bookcase or shelving with open shelves. The option can be supplemented with a stand-alone couch or you can build in a place to rest instead of a window sill, if there is a window nearby.
- Part of the headset with a few tops of the "working triangle" of the kitchen. For example, a refrigerator, oven, washbasin or stove. The remaining components of the kitchen set are placed next to the next wall. The finished kitchen is very compact and ergonomic. The option is suitable for two-story apartments, which are designed according to the principles of studios.
In addition to storage, under the stairs you can equip a compact office, mini-workshop for a needlewoman and even a full bathroom. The latter option is very popular in large houses, where on each floor they put a bathroom. The original configuration of the ceiling will only add charm and creativity to a small room.
Here you can equip a retractable bed, which, when assembled, disguises as fake closets of the closet. The option is suitable for those houses where guests often gather, but there is no separate room for their reception.
The space under the stairs has too many arrangements to allow it to be empty and disappear "in vain." His competent organization will become a true highlight of the interior, the visual center of the zone, to which the views of guests who have just come to the house or apartment from the hallway will necessarily be riveted. A cabinet, a rack, a complex construction of shelves and sections can become just a part of the corner composition, which will be continued by the free neighboring wall. Against the background of such design refinement, even the staircase itself can be lost, which, as a rule, itself acts as a stylish decor.